Wood Fences: Types and Styles
Wood fences are a great option for improving a property’s esthetic appeal. When properly maintained, they can last for decades. Plus, they’re versatile and come in different styles and types. Here’s what you should know if you’re considering installing a wood fence.
Types of wood fence
Many types of wood can be used to build fences. Here are some of the most common varieties:
- Pressure-treated woods like pine and fir are affordable, durable materials. They’re treated with insecticidal preservatives and water-repellent stains to prevent rot and increase their lifespan.
- Spruce is inexpensive, but it’s not as resilient as other types of wood. It’s prone to warping in damp climates. Treat spruce with a good quality sealant to increase its longevity.
- Cedar has a nice look and doesn’t need much maintenance. The natural oils in this wood deter insects. It’s also resistant to rot and has a longer lifespan than other woods. Cedar should be stained to prevent it from turning grey and to further increase its durability.
- Redwood is also resistant to rot and insects. Its esthetic value makes it one of the nicest and most expensive materials to use when constructing a fence.
- White oak is attractive and strong. It’s often used on farms to create sturdy fences that can withstand harsh winters.
- Composite wood is engineered from recycled plastics, fibres and wood products. It’s an environmentally friendly fencing option that’s durable and easy to maintain.
Styles of wood fences
Once you’ve selected a type of wood, you’ll need to choose a style of fence. Here are a few popular options:
- Wood picket fences are ornamental fences that are usually about three to four feet high with pointy pickets at the top.
- Wood lattice fences are made of diagonal slats of wood that form a crisscross pattern that adds privacy and curb appeal.
- Post and rail fences are best for creating boundaries on large properties like farms and ranches.
- Vertical fences are a common style of fence consisting of tall vertical boards of wood. They’re sturdy and easy to build.
- Horizontal fences provide a more modern look than other styles. They’re built using horizontally-oriented boards of wood.
Wood Fencing Installation in Alberta
Duraguard Fence Ltd. specializes in wood fences and gates for residential and commercial properties in Alberta. We offer many sizes and styles of wood, including untreated spruce, pressure-treated wood and cedar, among others. Contact us today to learn more about our products and services.